Among the points of interest along Highway 90 in Uvalde County is the aviation museum at Garner Field, a modest collection of vintage aircraft and artifacts housed in a World War II-era hangar on the Garner Field premises. Approximately 1.2 miles south of Highway 90 on the east side of Uvalde, the museum seeks to preserve the local aviation history of the area. Hours of operation are Tuesdays and Fridays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public; donations of $5 for adults and $2 for children are always accepted.
The city of Uvalde served her country well during World War II. Named after former vice president John Nance Garner, Garner Field was founded in 1941 as a training ground for combat pilots. The airfield was decommissioned after the war but the location is still used today by numerous aircraft service and production companies, the U.S. Border Patrol and general aviation pilots.
The museum itself has been in operation at its current location since 1993. Originally located in Kerrville, the collection was moved to Garner Field by the late Art McKinley. Current curators Jeanette and Leroy Walther have been the volunteer overseers since 1998.
The of rest this story is restricted to subscribers only.