The following information was provided by Nancy Feely on behalf of El Progreso Memorial Library.
This year’s El Progreso Memorial Library home tour is slated for Sunday and showcases five of Uvalde’s one-of-a-kind houses.
This fundraising effort is open to the public, and allows for a glimpse into the history and stories of the old, new, and renovated houses. The tour is self-guided, and each home will have refreshments, holiday décor, and music. Tickets for the event are $50 and can be purchased at El Progreso Memorial Library.
Arlene and Les Nanney purchased their home at 232 Myrtle in 2004. In the past 15 years, they have done extensive renovations, including remodeling the kitchen, and adding a master bathroom, closet, garage, office and craft room.
The backyard has a pool, which was built in the 1950s, and the Nanneys have added an outdoor kitchen. French doors to the outdoor space are also new.
The home is styled with Spanish hacienda accents. The Nanneys have previously lived in houses that were Spanish style, and have created this aesthetic through their remodeling, furniture and accessories.
The house was built on land originally used for a pecan orchard.
225 W. Mesquite
This newer home at 225 W. Mesquite was built in two stages in 2008 and 2009. The design concept for the home utilized Hill Country rock in a traditional farmhouse style. The materials used are similar to the surrounding houses, which integrates the house into the fabric of the historic neighborhood.
There was an original structure on the lot. The new kitchen and bedrooms were built behind the existing wood frame, and the original house was moved to Eagle Pass.
Laura and Andrew Blades moved into the home last year, and say their favorite part of the house is the living room, where they enjoy spending time with their son.
218 N. Getty
Benson Guest House, 218 N. Getty, is owned by Krystyn Huffstutler- Reyes and Eric Reyes. Built in 1881 by William Benson, it is the oldest standing house in downtown Uvalde.
It has been restored and renovated to preserve the historical charm while integrating modern conveniences to serve as a rental guest home.
According to the Texas Historical Marker on the property, William Benson was one of the youngest captains in the Confederacy during the Civil War. He was also a teacher in Brazoria County, and settled in Uvalde where he also taught school. He and his wife built this home, and his daughter, Kate Benson, used the house as apartments circa 1936.
Kate was also a school teacher, and Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District’s Benson campus was named in her honor.
Previously to being renovated, this structure was once a boarding house, apartments, and a law office.
400 W. Benson
The house at 400 W. Benson was built in 1969 by Rhoene Park, in an area of Uvalde which was once a gravel pit.
The current owners are Margo and VJ McElroy, who purchased the home from Annabelle and Stephen McNew in 2019.
During the late 1970s, the home was owned by Carl Lee Hellums, and he married his wife Phyllis in the home, in a ceremony performed in front of the fireplace by Ted McElroy, grandfather of the current owner.
There is a large backyard and a pool. During the Hellums’ ownership, they added a den and a large rock fireplace.
The McNews remodeled the kitchen and painted the interior and exterior of the home. The McElroys continue to add their personal touches to the home.
122 W. Mesquite
In 2015, Beth and Bob Huddleston took ownership of the two-story brick home constructed in 1927 by John H. Hood at 122 W. Mesquite. Hood was also the contractor for the Briscoe-Garner Museum and the Uvalde County Courthouse.
The home has been in the Huddleston family for the past 64 years. Bob is the third child of Edie and Dusty Huddleston, who purchased the home in 1955. At that time, it was two-story house with a carriage house in the back, and the upper story of the carriage house was rented out as an apartment by previous owners.
The carriage house and flagstone sidewalk are both original to the home. Beth and Bob have remodeled the kitchen and painted the interior.
The of rest this story is restricted to subscribers only.